Reporting to the Director of Student Support Services, this position requires an innovative leader with the vision and skills to assist the Director in the oversight of the Student Support Services Department. A primary role of this position will include oversight, evaluation & continuous improvement for the various service areas that fall within the office of student support; to include counseling and psychiatric services, health services, restorative practices, student attendance, threat assessment, & DASA. This work will require the convening of diverse stakeholder groups, establishing procedures, designing and facilitating professional development, analyzing data, & developing partnerships with principals and other district leaders, in an effort to ensure consistent district wide implementation fidelity. This position requires a high degree of creativity, collaboration, and cultural competence.
Assistant Director of Student Support Services Expectations:
• Evaluate current programming in student support services;
• Articulate areas for improvement in student support service areas;
• Define strategies to effectively impact the district and its staff to meet the learning needs of all students;
• Develop a culture of high expectations for students, staff and families as well as implement research-based practices.
• Use data to monitor, measure, and improve student achievement;
• Work collaboratively with building leaders to provide supervision and support to student support service staff;
• Under the supervision of the Director, develop policies and procedures, collaboratively with administrators and staff, to ensure the effective implementation of federal and state regulations related to IDEA & Section 504 Implementation;
• Collaborate cross-organizationally on School-based Support Teams in driving the implementation of a rigorous and coherent student services system appropriately aligned to support the instructional goals aligned with NYS Learning Standards;
• Assist the Director in implementing processes and structures that support organizational improvement related to designated areas of responsibility;
• Analyze data collected by the district on Student Support services, to include behavioral data and attendance data for all students;
• Assist the Director and/or building leader in developing a culture of collaboration, trust, learning and high expectations by facilitating and coordinating parent outreach and parent involvement in the development of new programs and services to support students;
• Facilitation of Professional Learning Communities (PLC’s) for related service providers to include school social workers;
• Plays a key role in building capacity and leading implementation of restorative practices & Trauma Sensitive Schools & Restorative Practices;
• Coordinate Professional Development for all Student Support staff, including assisting in the development of the PD plan and evaluating its effectiveness.
Assistant Director of Student Support Services Key Qualities:
• The ability to work in a supportive, collaborative role with staff in all departments and offices;
• The ability to interpret and remain current on all federal, state, and local mandates;
• Ability to interpret and remain current on all federal, state, and local mandates for special education and Section 504 services information discretely and professionally;
• Handling of confidential information discretely and professionally;
• Effective management, supervisory, teambuilding, and problem solving skills;
• Excellent interpersonal skills including facilitation and consensus building;
• Excellent analytical skills including demonstrated success in data-driven problem solving;
• Excellent and effective communication skills, both oral and written;
• Success at building alliances and developing relationships with diverse groups of stakeholders;
• A Growth Mindset;
• The ability to learn; good problem solver; enthusiastic.