School Safety Officers
(Multiple full-time and part-time positions available at the secondary school level)
About Schenectady City Schools
The Schenectady City School District (SCSD) has begun a period of change that seeks to transform the district and its schools. A significant level of local, state, and federal attention and investment in the Schenectady City Schools has characterized the last few years providing an incredible opportunity to ensure that all of its students graduate prepared to succeed in college or a well-paying career. Currently, the Schenectady City School District is seeking highly competent, motivated, dedicated and fully engaged individuals to accept leadership roles throughout the district's schools and Central Office to serve the academic, emotional and physical needs of approximately 10,000 students through the essential elements of the district’s Strategic Plan. The Superintendent is leading a talented and committed leadership team with the aim of moving SCSD toward world class status and preparing all students for success.
Hours: 8 hours per day
Work Year: 10 months/185 days per year
Distinguishing Features of the Class and Role of School Safety Officer:
Employees in this class are responsible for insuring the safety of students and staff, maintaining order and protecting school property. Direct supervision is received from the District Chief of Security and Building Principal in accordance with established policies and procedures. Does related work as required. This position requires a high degree of cultural awareness, an understanding of positive behavioral supports and restorative practices.
Typical Work Activities and Expectations of School Safety Officer:
- Controls and directs traffic on school roadways and parking lots;
- Patrols school grounds on foot or in car to protect persons and property, maintain order and ensure compliance with school rules and regulations;
- Patrols school parking lots before, during and after regularly schedule classes,
- Checks all vehicles for proper registration;
- Investigates complaints received personally or as assigned by supervisor;
- Supervision of entry level teacher aides assigned to hallways, doors, etc.
- May enforce traffic and parking regulations;
- May summon local police, fire department or ambulance service in case of law violation, fire or other emergency;
- Gives information and directions to students and visitors;
- Keeps records and makes written reports on a regular basis on security matters;
- Performs related duties as required by Chief of Security/Building Principal to provide protection and maintain security;
- Questions persons on school premises who are not students or staff and advises as to school rules and either directs visitors to school offices or asks them to leave.
Full Performance Knowledge, Skills, Abilities and Personal Characteristics and Key Qualities of School Safety Officer:
- Working knowledge of the practices and procedures necessary to maintain order and insure the protection of life and the security of buildings, grounds and equipment;
- Working knowledge of school district rules and regulations; ability to exercise sound judgment in carrying out duties;
- Ability to maintain good relationships with students and faculty;
- Ability to understand and carry out oral and written directions;
- Good powers of observation;
- Courtesy and tact. Ability to prepare brief written communications;
- Ability to communicate information orally and by written report;
- Ability to use self-defense, restraint techniques and security equipment as necessary; physical condition commensurate with the demands of the position.
Graduation from high school or possession of a high school equivalency diploma and one (1) year of experience as a municipal or state police or correction officer OR one (1) year of experience working with youth in a juvenile detention facility, OR one (1) year of military experience
Candidates must possess a valid New York State Driver’s license at the time of appointment, and must maintain such license throughout the tenure of employment.
This position is a provisional civil service appointment and applicant must meet civil service requirements including residency in Schenectady County or contiguous counties. Successful candidates are required to take civil service exam when offered.