- Position Title
- Registered Professional Nurse
- Required Application Type
- School Related Personnel
- Salary/Pay Scale
- Job Description
Distinguishing Features of the Class and Registered Professional Nurse
This is a professional nursing position involving responsibility for giving care to students and for performing related nursing services such as pupil health screening and notification of defects and communicable disease control requiring judgment and skills. This position differs from the certificated position of School Nurse-Teacher in that there is no responsibility for either classroom instruction or guidance involved. The work is performed under the general direction of a School Physician or School Nurse-Teacher. Supervision may be exercised over the work of clerical assistants. The professional nurse performs professional nursing services at one or more schools in the maintenance of acceptable health standards, school health records and the emergency treatment of student and employee health problems; does related work as required. This position requires a high degree of patience, compassion and responsiveness to student experiences
Typical Work Activities and Registered Professional Nurse Expectations
- Assists the School Physician in physical, visual and auditory screening examinations of students and employees;
- Administers first aid and emergency treatment to students and employees;
- Prepares and maintains health records for school authorities;
- Assists at school immunization clinics;
- Arranges to transport sick or injured students or employees to hospital, home, doctor’s, and dentist’s office in cases of emergency;
- Inspects the school plant, playground and cafeteria and reports on general safety and sanitary conditions;
- Orders, inventories and oversees the storage of first aid and related health supplies and equipment;
- Consults with attendance teachers, staff members and school nurse-teachers concerning a variety of health factors related to non-attendance and communicable disease;
- Prepares records and reports as required.
Full Performance Knowledge, Skills, Abilities and Personal Characteristics and Key Qualities of Registered Professional Nurse
- Open to learning;
- Goes above and beyond to connect with students and families;
- Connects families to community resources;
- Good knowledge of nursing principles and techniques and their relation to medical practices and skill in their application;
- Working knowledge of material-medical, dietetics, sanitation and personal hygiene;
- Skill in the application of technical, oral and written instructions;
- Ability to keep records and make reports;
- Ability to get along well with students, teachers, parents and others;
- Ability to carry out successfully the measures prescribed;
- Ability to plan and supervise the work of sub-professional and non-technical personnel;
- Good observation, mental alertness, firmness, initiative;
- Cheerfulness, patience, emotional stability, sympathetic attitude toward the sick;
- Good moral character.
- Civil Service Title
- Registered Professional Nurse - School
- Job Qualifications
(A) Graduation from a school of nursing approved by the State Education Department from a course approved by such department as qualifying for Registered Professional Nurse.
(B) Eligibility for a license issued by the State of New York to practice as a Registered Professional Nurse.
Special Requirement for Acceptance of Applications:
Eligibility for a license issued by the State Education Department from a course approved by such department as qualifying for Registered Professional Nurse.
- Application Procedure
About Schenectady City Schools
With a population of nearly 10,000 students, the Schenectady City School District is one of the largest in the Capital Region. With an incredibly diverse population we are committed to ensuring that all children feel valued, are safe and will learn. We place the highest priority on a culture of equity, ensuring that race, economics, and disability are never predictors of student achievement. Every child in our district counts and will be supported each step of the way, along the path to graduation.
The Schenectady City School District is committed to hiring members of protected classes and residents of the City of Schenectady. For more information on the District’s recruitment and hiring plan, please contact the Human Resources Office at 881-2000 ext. 40133. The Schenectady City School District does not discriminate on the basis of age, color, creed, disability, marital status, veteran status, national origin, race or gender. This policy is in compliance with Title IX of the Education Amendments of 1972, Section 504 of the Rehabilitation Act of 1973, and the Regulations and By-Laws of the Board of Education of the Schenectady City School District.
- Job Category
- Job Location
- Paige Elementary